Rotary phase converters are an economical solution for operating 3 phase machinery from single phase power sources. Excellent reliability and work output can be realized by applying these application/safety guidelines:
- Adequate Grounding Protection – NAPCES rotary phase converters must be grounded for safe and reliable operation. Grounding must comply with all national, state and local electrical codes.
- Proper Phase Converter Selection – Care must be given in selecting the correct 3 phase converter for your application. Our rotary phase converters are generally well suited for motor applications and other CNC, resistive and inductive applications. Our toll free technical support hotline enables us to assist you in configuring the optimum phase converter for your need.
- Wire/Conductor Sizing – Wire sizing is extremely important in order to ensure that proper voltage may be maintained during motor start-up. Per National Electrical Code NEC 455.6, input wire size shall not be less than 125% of the phase converter nameplate input full-load amperes (for variable loads) and/or not less than 250% of the sum of the full-load 3-phase current rating (for variable and fixed loads).
- Continuous Operation Requirements – NAPCES rotary phase converters reliably work with or without a load 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Lost production time and contactor wear is not a factor during cyclic machine operations using NAPCES converters. Many three phase converters offered by other manufacturers require a minimum load during operation, or must be turned off if no load is present.
- Vibration and Noise Reduction – Using rubber isolation mounting pads between the rotary phase converter generator and mounting surface provides a number of benefits:
- Reducing noise levels during generator operation
- Reducing peak stress upon internal components as the generator is engaged
- Preventing mechanical vibration being transferred to the rotary phase converter mounting surface
Applying these guidelines in configuring and installing your rotary phase converter will ensure years of steadfast operation under the most demanding of workload requirements.