Choosing a phase converter to change single phase power to three-phase power can seem overwhelming. Rotary phase converters and Digital phase converters are two of the most popular options available. There are (6) six type of rotary converters and one (1) digital phase converter.
Six (6) Roto Phase Converters
(Caps = Capacitors PC =Phase Converter, Price = $)
1. “Old School” $ = Caps and a shafted torque motor (no start circuit for the idler/generator)
a. Note: Torque motors are designed to make torque not a sine wave. Can they make a sine wave yes but your interest is quality power, not quality torque?
2. “Old School w/Starter” $$ = Motor starter circuit, caps, shafted torque motor
3. “Basic” $$$ = Start Circuit, caps, (no shaft) idler/generator designed to produce a third leg sine wave.
4. “Digital Rotary” $$$$ = Digitally monitored Start Circuit, caps, idler/generator
5. “Digital with Voltage Support” $$$$$ = Digital Start, with voltage monitoring to reengage high performance start capacitors for temporary additional voltage support during hard starts or intermittent hard loads that draw excessive current which causes voltage drop.
6. “Digital Voltage Balance” $$$$$$ = Digital Start, continuous voltage adjustment throughout the load demand.
One (1) Digital Phase Converter
1. “Digital Phase Converter” $$$$$$$ = Takes the true analog sine wave produced at the power station and modifies it into segmented pieces (something like minecraft), giving flexibility to manufactures a new digitized sine wave.
Digital Phase Converters are an excellent choice if your loads for precise voltage sensitive equipment. One side effect to the digital converters is harmonics, “noise” in the lines. This can be a concern for sensitive machines, software or GPS. Roto phase does not produce harmonics and with the cost effective true analog signal voltage can be balanced within 2%, roto phase converters have come a long way in performance and reliability.
It is important to consider your equipment power requirements and good measure to call the factory for final assistance in sizing and purchase.
Learn more about NAPCco and contact us at 1-877-545-2926 or online.